30.4.13

it's fashion, jim, but not as we know it






Laura Weir, of the Sunday Times Style Section, has just said exactly what I've been saying, but - as always with this brilliant journalist - she's said it better. In the piece 'IS THIS FASHION' ('now that street style is more about attention-seeking than anything a sane person might wear, Style looks elsewhere for everyday inspiration') I saw people I know, have had lunch with, have photographed.. I saw the past four and a bit years of my life flash by, saw the trajectory from being a lone woman on the street with my dad's vintage Pentax (film, not digital), looking for normal people whose style I admired, which led to my to growth as a 'blogger', which led to being invited to fashion week, to.. this. Being a Papp for people whose career is built around going to fashion week to be shot by people like me. And no one's paying me to do it!

Which is not to disparage this sweet girl. Who I don't know. For me, it's still about portraiture, about that thing in the eyes, when one soul recognises another, for a brief flash, and moves on. It's about engaging with the subject, as they say, and then - one hopes - passing that on to you.

But it's not, for me, about what they're wearing - style is part of something, I feel, that is innate, and for me, far more low key. And the circus that's been swirling round fashion week these past few years.. okay, it's fashion, but not as we know it. Or wear it.

I had just walked out of the dark, almost spiritual quiet - that boisterous hush - of London Fashion Week, backstage after a show ('thirst', etc), when I was hit by this circus. Not to criticise this lovely girl. But it's so far removed from why I started my blog, started shooting streetstyle.. words fail me. Read hers, they're so much better. And more succinct.

4 comments:

hatmanualexandra said...

Love the painted eyebrows, but never had the guts to try it on streets.... Love the post, it's cool and crazy :)

Mona said...

Jill,
This fashion shows that used to be filled with people that truly had fashion vision are now occupied by so many wanna be's looking to attract attention for runway fame or possibly print or film exposure. They are taking the shortcuts that leading to nothing because they are now a dime a dozen.
I bet it's fun to capture them though!

Fragile Bird said...

Sometimes people spend so much time and effort trying to stand out that they end up blending in even more... this girl is not one of them...


Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

Helen

X

mtg said...

I totally get what you say, Jill.