23.4.13

the bigger picture


Two images: above and below. They don't mean much on their own: just my favourite colours, and textures.


And then when you step away - and see the bigger picture - one is a glass ring, and one is a landscape.




I'm fascinated with the idea of scale. We were on a boat, off an Italian island called Ponza, and this teeny tiny dot was a man. It seemed - from out in the warm turquoise sea - that he was pulling something, from the angle of his body. But I guess we'll never know what. Or why.

Glass rings from a collection at the British Museum Shop. How Ponza ties in with the Pompeii exhibit? It's in my previous post, 'they walk amongst us.'

Life and Death: Herculaneum and Pompeii is on until the 29th September, but the Ice Age is only on til the 26th May. More details at the British Museum online.



2 comments:

daisychain said...

the first photo made me think of some crazy ice cream or something! x

Stephanie Clayton said...

I'm drawn to these icy, milky hues. They skirt both warm and cool spectrums....or at least to my artist's eye.