9.6.10

a sorbet in need of a name



Okay, about two weeks ago, everyone wore - or lusted after - pale peach. We all know what colour 'peach' is, even tho it doesn't look anything like a real peach, which is really more like a warm, bright, orangey yellow. The colour we call 'peach' is actually a cool orange mixed with white.

So what colour, I ask, is this girl's dress? I don't think it's red. I've been hearing the phrase 'sorbet colours' bandied about the fashion sphere this spring. If it was a sorbet flavour, it could possibly be raspberry. All I know is, this colour, at the deepest end of the spectrum, going lighter into a kind of cool, deep peachy pink sorbetty shade, has caught my eye. I saw a lot of it @ the Hay Festival, and want to post on it, but I need a name for it. Any suggestions?

Shot @ ASOS HQ, watching the lucky staff queue to buy tickets to the Summertime Ball, which, I hear, was amazing.

13 comments:

jemina said...

hmmm, tough question, i would call it dark peach, see what the others have to say, love your blog btw, so witty and cool, xoxo

JanD said...

I always think of that color as watermelon--the essence of summer.

Pearl Westwood said...

I want to say salmon but its darker, maybe sun-burnt salmon?!?! x

Unknown said...

The right name of this colour is CORAL ("corallo" in italian)as it's exactly the same colour as the corals on the sea. Some of your photos are just amazing!!!!Good luck!!

styleeast said...

I was just about to say coral too! My current favourite colour x

Anonymous said...

Yeh I was going to say coral as well!!! :) It is a great colour though. I also like the description 'sun-burnt salmon', sounds a lot cooler ;) x

jill said...

CORAL!! Thank you. That's it. But I like sun-burnt salmon, too ; )

Excellent. Thank you. Now I can do the post! Nighty night xo

p.s. JanD: On second thought: I think actually it's exactly like watermelon. Totally watermelon.

JanD said...

And here I was nearly persuaded by coral, except for the sorbet factor--too much grit, I fear. Salmon, maybe, since I can imagine a sashimi sorbet that's more peppery than sweet. And now I want some.

Style Odyssey said...

i wouldn't call it raspberry. in the 80s, i called this delicious color (and its lighter cousin) "coral". i wore it with abandon.
now....well, it looks more melon to me. in fact, watermelon, to be exact.
great dress, regardless of color. but what fun it is to discuss colors and their possible names!

Leslie in Adams Morgan said...

Our monitors may view the color differently but to me it's persimmon screened back a little.

Leslie in Adams Morgan said...

actually, in reading the above post after posting, I am going to agree with style odyssey. it's def coral.

Susan said...

peaches in Hungary are not yellow at all, they have that very nice white-ish, pink-ish color inside :)
xoxo

the Citizen Rosebud said...

coral is apt. but to go with the sorbet theme, I'd call it Melon.