31.1.11

in egypt



Apologies to anyone who has come here to see a style post. I was about to put an image up - a 'self style' photo - and it just felt wrong somehow. That is not what I'm thinking about now. That isn't what I've been waking up and turning on the tv to watch.

This is a photo I took last week, in our secret, locked garden: the first signs of spring. I took this when the protests had already begun.

One of my closest friends, perhaps my closest friend in London, is Egyptian. Another of my sweet, sweet friend's parents reside in Egypt (she is a friend to many of you, too). While my photo is of wild crocuses, the symbolic flower of Egypt is the Lotus, which closes at night and sinks underwater. In the morning it re-emerges and blooms again. The flower, which is also blue, became a natural symbol of the sun and creation. In Hermopolis, it was believed that it was a giant lotus blossom that first emerged from the primordial waters of Nun and from which the sun-god came forth.

I put this up as a prayer, for the Egyptian people, for their safety, and for their freedom to be achieved peacefully. Enough.

We 'style' bloggers don't normally enter into political territory, but today, I'm afraid, I must.

13 comments:

A La Mode said...

This is so sweet Jill. My hearts are with all of them at this time xxx

Anonymous said...

Jill - you said it so well.. My prayers go to the Egyptian people for their safety and for their future.
xoxoL

Frini said...

well, i couldn't agree more with you, it's not easy to write carefree posts when your thoughts and everyone's attention are on such news! Anyway, your blog is your personal space/diary/you name it, so you've got every right to express yourself about whatever you wish to. Personally, i wish i saw more posts about social&political issues, even in fashion blogs,it doesn't mean you 'betray' the label of your blog, it means you are a human being, with thoughts and concerns, which you wish to share with others. I totally appreciate that. And this post of yours is so moving, it would be a pitty not to share. Thanks for this sweet view over such a sad topic.

kiss kiss*

thecommonsuspect.blogspot.com

San said...

Ahh, Jill, this is perfectly alright. And it shows the people out there that we are caring humans and not shallow people who only think about style. After all this is your blog and it mirrors your thoughts, so if the protests in Egypt are on your mind, write about them.

Hugs

Kit said...

The tourists are still stuck there and the government are not doing a great job in helping them out, where's the prime minister?

spring? I'm still cold and still wearing my grey h&m scarf indoor.

daisychain said...

Wonderful post Jill, my thoughts are with them too x

Style Odyssey said...

nice post, Jill. i'm worried for Egypt, too....it's so scary what's happening! May they have peace soon.

Klara said...

That picture is lovely and so peaceful.

Perfect for a prayer.

Unknown said...

This post is lovely. Thank you for sharing what you actually think about this issue. Here in the US, so many people don't even know what's going on! It's getting barely any coverage here.

~Emily
http://travelandtoile.blogspot.com

the nyanzi report said...

My mum left Heathrow saturday morning bound for Cairo, and, let me tell you, what you see on TV is ten times worse than what is on the ground.

The airport has become a war zone between passengers trying to get on planes for their respective countries.

Natayla said...

Jill I want to thank you for your post and for taking the time away from fashion to show your support. You are the perfect friend. From our hearts we thank you all for your support. This is a beautiful post from a beautiful soul. Things are slowly calming down and we all wait for tomorrow and the "Million Man March", my uncle is currently waiting in Tahrir square for the sun to rise and start the march. My prayers to my country and people. Thank you again for your support...

jill said...

Thank you, dear Natayla and each of you for your lovely comments. I just saw on the news that the last internet provider in Egypt is down and realised that anyone in Egypt now is cut off from the rest of the world in that respect.

Waiting for the sun to rise.. what a beautiful phrase. Praying for a peaceful resolution, and freedom.

Li said...

oh! jill - look how perfect your found a spot on your blog for this lovely little thing!!! whenever a world trauma as this happened, it serves as a reminder how much we all should cherish the freedom we are having!!! can't take it for grant - so thank you for such reminder w/ such beautiful shot!

haha! did not hear from me enough today?? sorry if i am bombarding you w/ email/comment, lol! xx