21.1.11

the sound of one hand clapping



Back BB (Before Blogs), when I didn't know another soul who was doing this - and I didn't know WHY I was doing this - I used to lug my heavy metal tripod on trips, and do these mad fashion shoot self portraits.

This one was during a visit to an ex boyfriend in California: rented a car and drove into Joshua Tree park, every day. Set the timer and run into a the landscape.



There was one day that was the most perfect of all: one of those absolutely inspired, magical moments where you just know that every photos is perfect. When I finished the roll of slide film, just as the sun was setting, I realised that I hadn't loaded the film correctly, and I had shot all day and no one would ever see it, not even me. And I just smiled at the sky thought, how Zen is that.



Speaking of Zen: Sunday nights, BBC1, 9:00 GMT. No one has asked me to promote this, I'm just telling you because it's the best thing on TV right now. It's like you wake up and you're Italian.

17 comments:

Michelle Bobb-Parris said...

These are just fantastic. Love these. Nothing beats film. xx

San said...

Fantastic pictures, I especially like the last one.

Sarah Nash said...

WOWWWWWWW!!!!

Those shots are truly amazing, and so spirited,I'm in a little bit of awe right now!

xxx

Style At Every Age said...

Amazing pictures. I wish I had watched Zen, everybody is raving about it! Have a good weekend xx

Neus said...

Fantastic!!! really nice shots!!! I love them! Neus*

daisychain said...

These are just so amazing Jill, so amazing xox

the nyanzi report said...

I do love the last shot a lot. It's like the beginning of something Kanye West would do. To me, he is a creative genius.

Matthew Spade said...

i have ever been anywhere like this before, it must make you feel really different to being in the uk. i can't really imagine it to be honest. did you get my last email?

R. said...

Gorgeous! The last one....Simply breathtaking!

EIGHT LONDON said...

Jill, these are just beyond beautiful. I just wish I had the balls to take my tripod out and use self timer. I also wish I knew a landscape as photogenic as this.

mtg said...

oh, jill. these are amazing. it's ok you did not get to see the photographs on your perfect day. That first picture on today's post is pretty perfect to me! and you did this all BB!! love it!
xx
maya

Fashion Limbo said...

amaaaazing pictures...it's just pure talent with you isn't it. One day, when I find a place to rest my head and feel safe, I shall buy a picture off you and frame it, and have it on a wall in said place hehehehehe

Seriously, I love your pictures and these are stunning.

Unknown said...

These are absolutely stunning! You're so gorgeous. And, well, this was more like eight or nine years ago, but I did the same thing of myself in my bedroom. They looked nowhere near as good as this (I knew nothing about photography back then) but I tried haha. You have actual skills...

~Emily
http://travelandtoile.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Travelandtoile

Veshoevius said...

Fab photos! I'd love to visit this place.

the style crusader said...

Jill, these photos are absolute magic. Really inspiring and moving. The last in my favourite. xx

adrielleroyale said...

Beautiful shots!! :) It's so funny - people make fun of me for taking pictures of myself, but you know what? Sometimes you can get fantastic photos done, simply by taking the time to be a perfectionist with yourself! And then you get great shots like these because you can fiddle and play and get it all just right! Plus you get to know your camera better that way thereby enabling you to take better shots of others :) I love these!

SabinePsynopsis said...

How beautiful are these photos!? As you say, Jill, the light and setting is just perfect - and your wonderful poise. LOVE THEM! xoxo