6.11.11

i love serendipity



I love serendipity.

I watch out for serendipity all the time. Take Friday, for example: I meant to post something else (my lovely friend Fab, aka Looking Fab at any Age, it's funny you said that about 'did I catch people at Ashish wearing Ashish, because that was my intended post - and yes, I did) - but instead, I got sidetracked with shots of two models after the show ('spooky blue eyes'). Then, spent much of the morning editing these shots here: one of the two models. I can get a bit geeky about stuff like that: meeting a model, say, backstage, and then trying to figure out who she was in the show. Or like later last night, after the most AMAZING bonfire night in our garden square (I'm secretary) and the after party at our friends' house, and then after my husband was asleep, I was watching this film 'Murder by Numbers' with Sandra Bullock, and was like 'hey, isn't that guy Ryan Gosling?' (Turns out - the things I miss not living in the States anymore - they were an items in like, 2002).



Anyway, the serendipity: I'm doing a shoot with my lovely friend Lucie today (more of that coming up) and we met on Friday and were talking about styling long summer dresses in a way people can relate to in winter.. this all kind of came up, out of the blue, and I just happened to have spent the morning obsessed with this one look. I'm not explaining it right. I'm not making any sense. Sorry about that!

Besides that I love the whole 'dress it up, dress it down' concept - that's what I've been doing all my life - I also love the balance of summer and winter in whatever I wear. Perhaps it comes from living in a temperate climate, but even on holiday, I love wearing, say, a summer frock, then throwing thick chunky jumper or cardigan on top. Or the obvious one, leather and lace.. again, it's like cooking: there is always an element of balance at work. Hard and soft, sweet and salty, spicy and bland.





I'm determined, all winter, to wear bits of summer on me. A sleeveless dress, worn as a jumper, over a long sleeved jersey and thick tights and boots. Doc Martins - or, ideally, what I'm craving, some kind of Chelsea boots with chunky 70s heels - with long lanky dresses. Just to remind me that before we know it, green shoots will appear, and spring will be just around the corner.

8 comments:

Michelle Lee said...

wow love that dress

San said...

"Just to remind me that before we know it, green shoots will appear, and spring will be just around the corner." Yeah, would love that. Well, I guess I just have to take it day by day. As I learned to do it with everything else. And you know what? It truly works, since I take it day by day, I'm in a positive mood and am smiling or grinning most of the time. Well, that is taking it day by day and having finally found my goals for this awesome life of mine. It's quite amazing to me everytime I think about it.

Have fun with your shooting and a good start into the new week.

Style At Every Age said...

I loved this dress, the whole collection in fact, so different from what he did this season! Did you see Zoe Ball on It Takes Two, in this seasons Ashish for Halloween? Anyway glad you have those pics can't wait to see those girls who attended the show and I love your idea of incorporating summer items into your wardrobe for winter. I have just bought some Dr Martens, not for me though lol, for my youngest daughter, for Christmas, so don't tell her, you can meet her at http://www.claudiakitten.blogspot.com and I know you will stop by as its always nice to learn a bit more about your blogging friends and their families xxx

Lauren@Styleseer said...

Gorgeous dress and you captured it beautifully. I agree with you about mixing contrasting elements. There's no doubt (in my mind ;)) that it makes for the most interesting looks. I've always done the "dress up dress down" thing, too.

styleeast said...

Hello, remember me?! ;) I'm back after an enforced hiatus (work, what else!), and, although I can read all my favourite blogs from my phone, I can't comment unless I'm on the laptop, which I am today, for the first time in about 2 weeks! Aaaaanyway, this is one of my favourite posts of yours recently (though I was mesmerised by the spooky blue eyes below), I just adore the contrast between dress and shoes x

Fashion Limbo said...

Jill you have inspired me. Temperatures have dropped like mad here in Malaga, and I was wondering what I was going to wear to go to pilates later, as my usual gear is summery. So there goes, thin black maxi dress (more suitable for spring really) with my favourite grey cardie wrapped around, and some military boots. Thanks for the inspiration xx

LeahB said...

What a gorgeous dress! It would be a great wedding gown for a ceremony in a garden.

SymbioticLife said...

Wow, I wouldn't have recognized her alone. Good job picking her out. I love wearing summer pieces all year long paired with other pieces that are more appropriate for the weather. It keeps my spirits lifted! xoxo