15.11.11

tint





Someone said that Flora was such an 'old soul': I feel the same about my friend Rosalind. Because 'everyone' was shooting her at fashion week, and she was hanging out with us, I somehow forgot to shoot her - and on the day I did, I forgot to go thru the photos. And when I did, it struck me once again what a truly old fashioned girl she is. The same age as Flora - 16 - that magic age when one minute you're still a girl, the next you're as grown up a woman as you'll ever be. I was on a bus not that long ago and suddenly saw myself as a very old woman: invisible. And at the same time, I had a flash of being 19, away from my family and my friends and especially, my love at the time: he was in Hawaii, and I was in Copenhagen, far from home. And I had felt, on a bus going home to my Danish family, as old, as wise, as eternal, as I feel today at times. That flash of memory, that synapse of time. Life, as an old school friend said recently, when filling me in on her life, goes by in the blink of an eye.

I don't want to gush too much about Roz: I already have quite a bit and besides, it might go to her head. But I must say it's a funny old friendship - our difference in age is so vast, but, like with my friends in their 80s and even 90s, we think alike about what matters, I feel.

Tinted these, but, like Dorothy in Kansas, my next post will, I predict, burst into colour.

11 comments:

styleeast said...

Love the tint on these photos. And of course Roz looks as lovely as ever xx

Anonymous said...

Jill, I feel so terrible for hardly ever stopping by any more - I've barely been posting myself things are so busy! Was just about to switch off my laptop and go to bed but I thought I'd just pop over to say I'm still here and enjoying your posts as much as ever, if only not as often as I'd like! These shots of Rosalind are special - you can tell that they weren't posed for for hours on end which is how photography should be in my opinion; capturing a single moment, not making that moment go on for hours whilst the hair and make up and lighting are all messed around with until the model looks far too airbrushed and unconvincing.

I'm going to a small fashion show myself tomorrow so I'm taking my new Canon 600d and I'm hoping to have my first shot at catwalk photography! I'm really excited about it.

Anyway, must go now as need to be up early tomorrow. Take care + best wishes for a lovely week, Alexandra xx

Lauren@Styleseer said...

I always love your photos of Roz. These are really lovely.

LeahB said...

Each time I read Roz's blog I can only wonder how someone gets to be so put together and on track at such a young age. She truly is something else, and such class and elegance in a world that is often disturbingly crass. Reading her blog is like having a respite with a warm cup of tea each day!

Roz rocks!

The Foolish Aesthete said...

I think we all tend to gush about dear Rosalind. It's difficult not to! And I often forget that she is still at this tender age on the threshold of womanhood. (Did not realize your other model was also 16.) You are right that age is no barrier to friendship. Sometimes, I have more to talk about with people in their teens or 80s than those within my age range. Love your photos of Roz, especially that last one! The composition and thoughtful sentiment in it is quite beautiful. xxxx

PS I forgot, please let me know what Raw Denim Bar said regarding the US. I'm happy to review their gear -- particularly since I am a difficult-to-fit jean shape!

O D Y S S E Y said...

i am always happy to see roz. she cannot take a bad picture. of course the photographer here doesn't shoot bad photos. so a win-win situation. :)
it's interesting how as we get older, we make friends w/ all ages without giving any thought to it; it's usually the young that find that practice odd. (roz seems the exception. but as you've said, she is an "old soul".)

Matthew Spade said...

some very thought provoking words here, we really can't waste a second. before we know it, it's too late. really nice post

jill said...

Aw, shucks, thank you Mat Bucket!

And everyone. Such lovely friends - real, and imagined.

Actually it's funny about 'you can't take a bad picture of Roz': it's spookily true. I didnt' even look at this batch til later, and there isn't a bad one in the bunch. It's like she's not human: she doesn't even ever BLINK!

That would be a great challenge for a future post: trying to come up with some crap out takes of Rosalind.

Unknown said...

The older I get the more I realise age really doesn't come into it in my friendships any more. I like who I like and that's how it should be I think :) It's just a case of gathering those people you naturally connect with around you and holding them close to your heart. That's what I try to do..... :) x

adrielleroyale said...

She really is so lovely - I love these shots of her :) You sure know how to capture her! :)

Christmas party dresses said...

very nice your photo and cute cape. i like it. Thanks for sharing us.