7.4.10

leaning towards lilac




And leaning towards the light.

But I don't mean top to toe pastel: I think the whole secret of working the pastel/sorbet/sherbet thing this spring is to not go all sugary. Same advice, actually, when making cupcakes. Keep the pastels muted, mix with lovely warm neutrals like camel or tan or griege, or if you go grey or blueish grey, that's lovely too, especially with nude, peach, ballet pink.. it's subtle, it's sophisticated, and there are endless variations.



Actually.. duh, why didn't I think of this earlier? I've been searching on the street for that lilac/camel colour combination I've got in my head, and all along.. this is from my first fashion shoot, last September. Georgie, left, and Estelle, in vintage furs and lilac frocks. Georgie's is Cacharel (that's a brand that seemed to have disappeared: but style.com has their recent catwalk show - for the first time since 2003! Bit of trivia). I met Georgie and Estelle separately and threw them together for this shoot, by the time we did this change of clothes, the sixth, they were old friends, and went out clubbing together the next night.

Isn't it funny: life. Sometimes, like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, you can search for something that's in your own backyard. Metaphorically speaking.

What's your favourite colour combination of the moment?

12 comments:

gretchen said...

love ALL her hair in the top photo...
and the vintage furs add such a great softness added to the faded wood..good choice.

the style crusader said...

oh i love the first two photos and how she is tilting her head towards the heat lamp! such great shots. am totally with you on the whole way to wear pastel right now. love the combination with the furs in the second photo! xx

Anonymous said...

That picture of the girl leaning her head towards the light is gorgeous!

I love the combination of the browns and lilacs...I had never thought of it before! Did you style this shoot?

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

C. Anne said...

Oh no, I remember loving that old photoshoot and then searching for a gorgeous fur to drape so beautifully over my shoulder! Now you've got me wanting an exquisite vintage dress in that dreamy lilac...

frances said...

And the 'sex' post disappears again! That confused me so much last week, and this week I re-fell-in-love with that gorgeous leather/shearing arms and hood thing? No idea what it was, but it looked amazing.
Beautiful colours though. Currently my favorite colour combo has to be pale sky blue and gold, with tangerine nails.

xx

Style Odyssey said...

I am so behind on my favorite blogs...I'll start here:

Lilac/camel isn't a combo I've given any thought to, and yet, I find it so serene, contemporary, really pretty. The combo would be nice in an interior or an outfit.

My fave combo of the moment? I may have to give that some thought, but I still enjoy beige and turquoise...I'm thinking the beach, can you tell? ;) It's odd, though, that I haven't worn these colors together. I just like the way they look in nature, and in my living room! (Ours is camel & steel gray, w/ turquoise accents.)

And off topic- I owe you an email! Will answer this evening when I get back home. xoxo

jill said...

haha!! i just this minute moved it back into the past: i couldn't bear to take it down AGAIN, but it really did feel kind of cluttered & messing up my front page. it's back in time around the 31st March, which was still later than the actual time i shot it.

that leather/shearling arms hood thing captured me, too. it was such a dark crowded party, and we weren't there that long, and that person - i wasn't sure at first if it was a male or female, but it was a girl - a kind of model-y girl - i couldn't get a shot of her face. she was beautiful, actually. but when i went around to ask to shoot her, she was gone. so i never found out what exactly that thing was!

that is a GORGEOUS colour combination, i can just imagine it. if you find ourself taking any photos... please email me @ jill@haybooks.com

thanks dixie! xx

bench coats said...

Wonderful post! Really enjoyed it

Hedvig said...

Great post Jill, I love the photo when she looks up, her smiling, it's beautiful.
A combination that I really like at the moment is brown\camel & blue, a light colour blue, not pastel blue. I'm thrilled I found a jumper yesterday with that perfect kind of blue that I've been looking for a month.....

daniela kate morosini said...

all the soft nudes and sorbet teal next to pale pale skin :) lovely photos!

jill said...

Thank you each of you!!

notjustmedical if you're reading this I shot it, but the 'client' was a graduate student project (a magazine). So it was her clothes - either borrowed or from her closet - the furs were actually her grandmothers'! Note the apostrophe: both of them. Actually I'm going to add this to the post..

Hedvig funny you're saying this, I'm really into brown & light blue now, too! Might even wear it on Friday. If you want, wear it - would love to post on it!

Thanks danniekate, gretchen, jen.. stephanie (style odyssey) i'm still in such a turquoise tropical mood! Wearing that nail polish a LOT. ; )

The Photodiarist said...

Those first two shots are awesome!