9.11.10

bond girl



I knew all I needed was a break: I'm getting the itch to start street shooting again. I know how serial killers must feel.

Last week, Hedvig and I were on New Bond Street right after the Nine West press day - which was so lovely, I haven't posted it yet because I really want to do it justice - and I passed this girl in plain old skinny jeans and ballet flats and a grey sweatshirt, nothing special, in a sea of fashionistas, and something in me said: 'Go on. Talk to a stranger. Ask to take her picture, and pose her in the middle of the frame, like a classic 'street shot'.

And so I did. I listened to the Voices.





Totally forgot her name and she hasn't been in touch, so there isn't much more to this little story, I'm afraid. Hedvig was calling out as I was shooting 'Watch out, she's gonna make you jump!' (she's only serious and Scandinavian in the shots, in reality, she's a real cut up, our Hedvig).

Posting this early as I'm off across town to meet Katie, of What Katie Wore: she invited me to a breakfast thing in the East End, an hour away from home. It never occurred to me at the time that she really meant BREAKFAST, as in 8:00 a.m. Somehow I thought it was more like... brunch. Which means I"ll be commuting to 'work' with real people. Will bring camera: I'm curious to street shoot people in that part of town - the City- like Wall Street. And inches away, it's a whole other world: Shoreditch. I'm fascinated how the difference of a few streets can totally alter one's uniform.

What's your uniform?

7 comments:

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

What a fabulous hat, it really makes it.

MarĂ­a said...

I love the blog. I follow you!
You can also send photos of your views from the balcony or terrace of your house, your friends or family or any trip that you've done and share them on my blog!

Kisses from Barcelona:)

K said...

My uniform is usually paint covered knee high boots with a skirt of some sort (or dress, depending on my mood). Struggle with tops... sometimes masculine shirts. A pupil of mine said to me the other day 'You do look like an art teacher, Miss. So it's a good job you became one'!

SabinePsynopsis said...

I'm so glad you're feeling 'the itch' again - and immediately you produce the PERFECT street shot.
& since I needed a little fashion break today I finally got around to publish the post I threatened you with...
xoxo

adrielleroyale said...

She's lovely in her simple garb :) She looks very comfortable in her own shoes - great shot! :)

P.S. Serial killers... LOL!!

The Photodiarist said...

Stunning first photograph with that light in the background.

Style Odyssey said...

simple is best sometimes. i think her pops of deep, rich red make this outfit interesting. (i adore that hat.)
serial killers and street style shooters...there's a metaphor somewhere...!
xo