2.11.10

variations in black and white











My friend Maryann, who lives with her husband in Tranquility, NJ, which is as rural and tranquil a place as you'd find under two hours from NYC, once remarked that cows freaked her out a bit. 'They don't look natural', she said. She meant, their black and white starkness. You don't usually see that in nature, apart from the dead of winter, after a freshly fallen snow.

My friend Lisa, the Original Dot, in NY, once famously said that 'nothing in life is that black and white, there are always shades of grey'. I guess that's what I love so much about the crispness of black and white, in fashion: it's so clean, so simple. I'm going thru a black and white phase: often completing the trilogy with some nice camel or tan. They showed the Danish restaurant Noma on Celebrity Masterchef last night, and that's EXACTLY what I'm loving right now: minimal, stark, but with natural tones and textures.

From top: David Koma's show last September, Laura at Mark Fast, Miggy, the window @ Zanotti on Walton Street, back round to Koma again. Photos all by yours truly.

7 comments:

San said...

This koma dress is beautiful. And yes, I like the combination of black & white too.

The Photodiarist said...

That dress is stunning! Love the wedges too.

Style Odyssey said...

i'm going through a black and white (and monochrome) phase also. as if you can't tell from my blog. ;) it may just last for a while and become my signature style.
the starkness of black and white reveal and yet hide. a colorless palette strips away what isn't necessary, in our modern world where an overdose of color can be distracting, unnerving.
black and white lets the individual be the focus.
gorgeous, gorgeous photos in this post. the koma dress and wedges are incredible!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

WOW- that's my kind of dress!!
Mona

styleeast said...

Love this Koma dress, and I love reading about your different fashion phases! Will look forward to some monochrome outfit posts...

Oh and yes, the last girl I shot was SO like Shini in her manner and everything, it was quite apparent in the flesh, I'm glad it's come out in the photo too
xx

Hedvig said...

David Koma was my absolute favorite during LFW, black swans, white swans....xx

SabinePsynopsis said...

Ah, these David Koma dresses... girlie and structured and so well put together!