15.10.11

what happiness wore





Chimwemwe means Happiness, in Malawian. It's also the name of the dummy that Lucie & Lachlan, along with their dog, Bow Wow, travel with in their VAGABOND VAN: round the world, sourcing amazing clothes and accessories, some of which I shot in their Camden Stall. Which ends this weekend. Altho frankly, Chimwemwe looks too fierce, and fab, to be a dummy. She kind of reminds me of Naomi Campbell, actually. And I love the way they dress her up differently all the time. It's worth the trip to Camden, just to see what Chimwemwe's wearing today.





But even if you have other plans this weekend - or don't live in London - you can still buy stuff online, or now, better yet, at ASOS MARKETPLACE. I wish I could be in two places at once this weekend, because I am so craving going over to Proud Camden, upstairs, next to 631 Ramp, and buying one of these fabulous colourful Meilie bags. I desperately need a new bag - my old Coach ones are too small, and I can't bear to spend a mint on a bag, but I don't want some kind of cheap fake leather thing. I want - I'm not kidding, I can't stop thinking about it - I want these bags of colourful happiness. Even if everything else I'm wearing this fall is neutral and muted, I want to wear a bag that makes me smile.











I really wanted to embed this video of James Brown singing Papa's got a brand new bag live, but I can't. So click here, & turn up the volume. This is so the roots of.. well, everything that's come since. Ain't no drag. But I really want a MIELIE VAGABOND VAN BAG!



p.s. I didn't even say the most important part (besides that these bags - and everything they sell - is so inexpensive) - it's also made by African women, at home so they can take care of their children.. actually Lucie says it so much better, herself:

"Thank you, Jill! This is fab! Chimwemwe is thrilled!! Please, anyone who would like to experience Vagabond Van and meet Chimwemwe - email me (team@vagabondvan.com). We are going to be based in Notting Hill, pop by and have a trying on session and a cuppa! And those bags are seriously amazing - each one is a work of art - but they don't just look good, they do good. They're made using recycled t-shirt material by women who are paid fairly and can work at home and look after their little ones. Ethical and individual! xx "

The Vagabond Van is also now at ASOS MARKETPLACE">ASOS Marketplace.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, they're really bright and fun aren't they! What a shame they're not in Camden for longer, I'm heading up in November....bugger! Ahh well, will have a look on ASOS at their things instead :) And Chimwemwe does look like Naomi..a lot!
Jules x

Unknown said...

Wow, all the picture's look beautiful.

http://haderablog.blogspot.com/

The Foolish Aesthete said...

Goodness, I really thought you had photographed Naomi Campbell at first glance! I've only now begun to see the Vagabond Van featured on blogs and would absolutely love to see their eclectic stuff. I agree with colorful happiness! I think that's why I ended up with a colorful, ECG patterned dress recently on a whim!

Oh, yes, I think we "met" each other via The Photodiarist -- having a chuckle over Hieronymous Bosch ;-). And I've only been to Madrid & Toledo but Barcelona & Southern Spain have been on my travel or place-to-live wish list for years for everything: architecture, art, and culture.

Vagabond Van said...

Thank you, Jill! This is fab! Chimwemwe is thrilled!! Please, anyone who would like to experience Vagabond Van and meet Chimwemwe - email me. We are going to be based in Notting Hill, pop by and have a trying on session and a cuppa! And those bags are seriously amazing - each one is a work of art - but they don't just look good, they do good. They're made using recycled t-shirt material by women who are paid fairly and can work at home and look after their little ones. Ethical and individual! xx

San said...

Lovely post and I totally understand that you want a colorful bag like those are. While the style isn't exactly mine the colors are fabulous. So go and get one!

I really like the pic of them laughing, such beauty and warmth. Wonderfully captured.

By the way, did you get my email (5th October)? Just wondering.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Sabine said...

Chimwemwe us fierce! and the bags are wonderful - love the Vagabond Van concept and Lucie is such a ray of sunshine. It was great meeting her at FW. xoxo

jill said...

I know!!! ; ) (to Sabine). And you haven't even met Lachlan yet! They are just the most amazing couple. I can't wait to meet Bow Wow, the dog, who isn't yet in the UK.

San: I was out since I posted this and I've been thinking of you a lot the past week plus, and meaning to write back. Thank you - I will find it and reply in the morning (I'm just typing this fast while my husband is watching something on TV, but I know any minute he's going to need my attention).

And to echo what Lucie said: Jules they'll be here (Notting HIll) in November! You've got to meet them. Just email Lucie @ the VV - if you're feeling shy (which you won't as soon as you meet her) I'll come along to introduce you two. And anyone else who is reading this - seriously, they are pure SUNSHINE.

and thank you, Hadera, for stopping by!

Rosalind said...

I'd love to get to see the Vagabond Van close up. It's such a fabulous initiative and you already know how interested I am in ethical style. You have more than sold them to me!

ediot said...

oh i wish i could go there now. im bummed i didn't have time to visit the shop when i was in london.
Hope you're enjoying your weekend Jill?
i had such a great last night. spent chatting sipping wine with my boyfriend. strange how there is still so much to talk about even though one's been together for so long

xx

Maya said...

Aww, I would buy every single tribal bracelet!!! You're right they are so much like my Target tribl beaded necklace. Love what you wrote on my blog. Thanks so much!!!! I am possibly (???) travelling to N.Y. end of October. Any chance you're there at that time??
XX
maya

Unknown said...

Ohhh amazing, I'm actually in London in November!! I'm up from the 17th to the 22nd....will they be about in Notting Hill then? I'm going to be in Notting Hill at some point anyway to hopefully meet one of my interiors idols :) Hooray!! x

Noelle Chantal said...

Beautiful tribal bracelets!! I'm on a hunt for tribal necklaces, just like those. So many interesting pieces to see. Love that colorful bag too! Funny, I thought the first photo is a model / real person, haha! Wonderful shots as always and very interesting post, Jill! Thanks for sharing these! :) have a great week!!

THE DIVINITUS said...

for a second thought the mannequin was Naomi Campbell. i need coffee...