10.12.09

love in the afternoon



For those of you who came to see street style, please bear with me: while I"m still posting on that daily, I'm also posting on Audrey Hepburn's collection that recently sold at auction by Kerry Taylor Auctions.

This Givenchy haute couture white point d'esprit ball gown was worn by Audrey Hepburn in the opera scene of 'Love in the Afternoon' (1956). I didn't stay for the auction on Tuesday - it was the last lot of the day, and they kindly offered, but it was a small space and, frankly, I didn't feel like seeing the collection broken up and sold: I wanted to keep my memory of the way the exhibition was set up, and the lovely people I met, intact. Somehow, with her image everywhere, she was very much alive and present, and I felt if I stayed for the auction... sometimes it's best to leave a party when you're still having fun, you know?




So. This dress. Apparently it didn't go for the highest price (a mere £7,800, or about $12,000), and I think I know why. I'm quoting the following from the catalogue:

Audrey gave this gown to Tanja as a present when Tanja gave birth to her daughter in 1958. It arrived in a large cardboard box with a note attached stating that Audrey thought it might remind Tanja what it was like to have a waistline again. In 1961 Tanja gave the gown to her then nanny, who wore it and adapted it, removing most of the lace trim, removing the bow from the front, and making three smaller bows on the back, to help conceal the panel that had been inserted to make it larger.

That might have de-valued it to a collector, but I'm sure Audrey was pleased as punch that it was appreciated, worn, and I'm sure, much loved.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh! i love that dress!


love&style!

Anonymous said...

I do think it's nice it was worn and recycled, however the original scalloped neckline was such a gorgeous feature :(

adrielleroyale said...

I agree with Arlene, the original neckline was fantastic! Still though... :)

Ed Hardy Lady Long Steeve said...

I really like this article and have enjoyed reading. Nice article, love the post.

StyleSpy said...

You're right -- she was a generous spirit and would have wanted the dress to have a life. Sorry I missed this exhibit -- it looks lovely. Do you have any more photos?

Susan said...

wow! love these photos.
thanks for sharing, darling.
xoxo

lucky bamboo said...

That's very fastidious article. Thank a lots for talking almost it as I am interested in this individual.

lucky bamboo said...

It's rattling nice article. Thanks for conversation about it as I am curious in this subject.

dreambox said...

That's very fastidious article. Thank a lots for talking almost it as I am interested in this individual.