16.5.10

everything happens everywhere, all at once



When I was starting out in New York, I worked for a wonderfully creative, talented, and very cute, animator named Eliot Noyes, Jr, in the Prince Street loft that he shared with his future wife and pet rabbit, who always chewed the cable cords. On the corner post office someone had written in graffiti: EVERYTHING HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, ALL AT ONCE.

I think about that all the time: we are all connected in more ways than we could ever realise.

This is my dear friend, Natayla, who recently started a fabulous blog called Treasures of a Ladybug. I spotted and dotted her.. when was it? Last summer? I can't find the post now! And she's back in London at the moment (she's Egyptian, her family live in Geneva, and her boyfriend in London, so she's rather transatlantic).



In the past few weeks, maybe more, we've been hanging out a lot, at 'our' Cafe Nero near home. I trust her totally, and she's, like Hedvig, someone who is just truly beautiful in every way. At the end of each visit, provided I've got my camera, I've been making her pose for the obligatory shot, no matter what she's wearing (I love this one: I'd asked her to meet me on the spur of the moment because I really needed a friend that day, and she ran out practically in her pyjamas, but I love the look).



Just this morning, I decided it was time to at least start posting a series on Nat. By strange coincidence, she had commented on Hedvig's post. I'm not going to copy it here: just take a look at yesterday's post, 'Treasures of a Ladybug'. You'll see. Jig Jaggered Blue! Everything's connected.



A new little game I'm playing these days.. I'll see something, some item of clothing that will come to mind as a friend's style: Nat would look great in this little Alexander Wang number (£390 @ Net-a-Porter). So Natnoot, I'm sending this virtual present to you today, on this cold dark Sunday spring morning. Then off to yoga: finally!!

Sourcing: mostly H&M. Leather jacket in 2nd shot, Warehouse, and soft grey sweats style trousers, Topshop. Her midnight blue velvet ballet flats with big bows - which I adore - are Miu Miu.

It's uniquely her own, wonderfully whimsical, effortless style.

16 comments:

The Fashion Cloud said...

Such a nice post to read and so sincere :)
Funny you should talk about how we are all connected I just posted earlier a video about social media and its influence, pretty amazing!!

xx

Style At Every Age said...

There is an award for you over at mine!

Iris / London Fashion Diary said...

ooohh I know this pretty girl!! I love her outfits, and she looks so effortlessly chic on the second picture!

xxx Iris

daisychain said...

What a lovely post my darling x

the style crusader said...

oh i love this! i think my favourite look is the 2nd one. that is my idea of the perrrrfect outfit. would love to know where the trousers/jacket are from. nat is gorgeous and she has such a great sense of style. love this post! xx

EIGHT LONDON said...

Natalya, I love your pumps!

Jill, the trousers in the 2nd shot are Topshop...I have them, but never know how to wear them for the perfect blend of smart/casual. x

Julia said...

I love her pose in the first shot, especially the flats!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments! But now that i look at these shots im telling myself "WHAT WAS I THINKING GOING DOWN DRESSED LIKE THIS". That's what's great with Jill, we just meet up at the last minute, so i just put on the first clothes i see. But that 3rd outfit is just ridiculous! The weather has been so crazy lately, that all i was thinking about was putting on as much layers as i could, hence the "beggar" look:)

@Jen thank you for the comment:) the pants are indeed from Topshop this season, but the jacket is from warehouse, got it about 2 years ago.

The Pumps are Miu Miu ( but they start to hurt when i walk too much! )

Jill there a new ASH CLOUD!! If it hits London, i may not fly!! ONCE AGAIN:) :)

jill said...

No!!! ; ) I know it's not funny, Nat, but.. sorry: if anyone's reading this, the reason Natayla is still in London is the day she was meant to leave the Ash Cloud stopped her.

(btw: I think it's the 'same' Ash Cloud? How does that work? They should start naming them, like hurricanes).

Will update your sourcing on the post. Thanks for being such a good sport about posing: it is kind of cheeky of me, come to think of it: to text someone and say 'let's meet in 15 minutes', THEN show up late.. and then shoot them and post it on the internet! There should be a word for people like me.

Thank you all for your sweet comments. Aren't you relieved you don't live around the corner? jCx

Anonymous said...

Well Jill the word would be a "friend":)

You are the best!

daniela kate morosini said...

i'm so jealous of people with transatlantic lives - i'm determined to travel lots when i'm older. my dad always raves about dubai and the palace of the emirates is stunning! one day :) loving her layered up look, and the alexander wang :) x

Rebecca said...

I'd love to be able to travel all over the place, but I guess that's not really a very viable option currently... Love the mix of everything in that last outfit :)

Also, Jil, you might be interested to know that I went to a bluebell wood today, and I linked to your recent post from my blog :) http://itscohen.blogspot.com/2010/05/bluebell-wood.html

Alice In Fashionland said...

Lovely pictures! Great shoes all around! :)

Style Odyssey said...

She is so darn cute....and does a casual-funky look with amazing panache.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but her ballet flats have GOT to GO. gah!

The Photodiarist said...

She's totally gorgeous. You've captured a beautiful spirit, Jill.