27.5.10

a preponderance of stripes



Have you ever felt just overwhelmed with things you have to do, place you need to go? I was feeling like such a loser because everyone has already posted, and made films.. I'm such a slacker.

Then I sat down with a nice homemade coffee and Bob Dylan on the DVD player, and just randomly started opening photos. And I realised: this is how I do it. Snippets of shiny thoughts. One photo at a time. Baby steps.



Someone asked me recently if I chose Polka Dot because I love polka dots. Actually it was a pet name I gave my friend Lisa in NY: our emails are hilarious - they WILL be a book someday - and somewhere along the way she became Dot, Polka Dot, Dottie.. she went to Italy with a boyfriend and bought me the most gorgeous navy with white polka dot leather gloves.. so when I started the blog, it was just the first name that came into my head.

I could just as easily have called it Stripes.

So rather than try to do the quintessential perfect post on the Perfect Day, and never live up to the perfect expectations I'd set for myself, I'm going to just fire off a bunch o' snippets. SPEAKING OF... I love that phrase. Snippets of Shiny Thoughts. Lucy's blog turns one tomorrow. CONTACT HER: we're meeting in town tomorrow afternoon.

(In the shots: Jackie, a girl who we don't know, Danielle, and below, Shini. Please check previous post for linkage).

14 comments:

Silkybow said...

I love stripes <3
Love your blog too! :)

the style crusader said...

love the mix of horizontal/vertical stripes in the first shot. lovely lovely. i totally agree... going through all the photos can be a bit overwhelming sometimes! where to start!? nothing compares to fashion week though... this is preparing you for september jill! xx

Anonymous said...

I spotted that girl as well when we were paying! She looked very calm and collected.

And thankyou for your comment! It made me blush!! It was so nice to meet you too. Hopefully I'll be seeing you tomorrow at Snippets' first birthday!

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

jill said...

Ha, gotta love it, Snippets First Birthday ; )

Jen, I know!!

Sense your Style: I LOVE your blog, too! Check it out people:

http://silkybow.blogspot.com/

Love that custom made Miu Miu inspired cat collar shirt! Adding your blog to my roll this minute. xo

styleeast said...

I saw this stripy girl and her friends at the table along from ours - they were very interested in what we were up to with all our cameras and cupcakes! I've posted now too - i LOVE the ones of you dancing on the grass! x

Style Odyssey said...

omg, stripes!! love, love. :)

Anonymous said...

very lovely dress! that's the recipe i guess! one day at a time, otherwise it all get to once head! ;)

Adorngirl said...

I don't think any one could call you a slacker, hun, these pictures are great, you are able to see something as simple as stripes, and make it cool. x

Love Food said...

What a pretty dress!
And I love the maxi dress in the background of the first picture, oh and the floppy white hat on the other side.

Lydia xxx

http://allthingsnicestyle.blogspot.com/

daniela kate morosini said...

three cheers for the blogivesary :) the shape of that dress is incredible! xx

jazmine rocks @ jazzabelle's diary said...

i'm loving the blue and white stripy blazer! goodness, you are no where near a slacker, jill! you usually update your blog more than once a day with the most beautiful pictures! i'm so happy to have found your blog.

p.s. i've started my 'blog sale'. so, please check it out! :)

love, jazzabelle. xxx

Carrott said...

I have a love/hate relationship with stripes. Sometimes I love them, and other times I hate how I look in them...

PS. I LOVE Jackie's dress!

Lucy said...

OooOOh thankyou Jill!! it makes me so excited when you use the name Snippets of Shiny Thoughts in your own sentances - its so fun!
thankyou again and again for you mentioning the meet up! can't wait!
p.s I understand what you mean now - i wondered how I linked to stripes!
xxx

The Fashion Cloud said...

Hi there, I hope to see you today,

I also just wanted to let you know that one of your outfit has been featured in my latest post: http://www.thefashioncloud.com/categories/seeing-double/

Hope you like it, and i think you might find it amusing :)

xx
www.thefashioncloud.com