24.5.10

monday's child



Saw this woman outside the V&A, wearing a turquoise 3/4 length jacket. I love that colour: it's not my adored, pale, humble celadon glaze shade favourited by Chinese emperors in the Ming Dynasty, which is more like Chanel's 'jade', but instead, the vibrant hue of tropical sea (nothing vague about that), chinos the colour of fine sand, and little Todd-esque driving shoes like a perfect blue sky.

Now, I'm a woman of my word, and if I say I'll post the rest of the 'Sirens' story, I won't keep you hanging forever. But I wanted to post this shot of a Hitchcock blonde today, because of that poem, Monday's Child is full of Grace. Get it? Grace Kelly exhibit @ the V&A? Which reminds me, I STILL haven't seen it! Have you?

Anyone who wants to go with me, perhaps it will finally get my bony ass to actually go inside the exhibit, because God knows, I've been there enough times since it's opened.



But, silly me, I got it wrong. It's:

Monday's child is FAIR OF FACE,
Tuesday's child is FULL OF GRACE,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child must work for a living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath day,
Is fair and wise and good and gay.

(I think I'm a Wednesday's child, woe is me. And I've checked: statistically, between 4 and 5% of the adult population is gay. I bet they were all born on Saturday.)



It's ironic that I was planning to post this today: awoke to a message from my darling friend Stephanie, of Style Odyssey. She dedicated her post to me! ('never can say goodbye'). I read it and burst into tears. But then again, I am, after all, a Wednesday's child, full of woe.

Stephanie, both fair of face AND full of grace: this post is dedicated to you! Wish you were here.

23 comments:

Cecylia said...

Nice loafers!

Leia said...

this girl looks AMAZING!

Unknown said...

I'm in love with her loafers!

PS. Much admiration from India :)

Matthew Spade said...

i really like her too, wicked jacket. very pretty

the style crusader said...

this is a lovely post. ever since seeing natalie (of canned fashion's) LFW shots where she is wearing bright coats i've really been craving one. this one is beautiful! love the connection you drew between all her colours and the beach... ah, those photos are seriously insanely beautiful jill. wish i was sitting on that beach right now! just going to check out the style odyssey post now. p.s. i was born on a monday. xx

Alma said...

Her outfit si great!:) Love the colours! And I would love to visit V&A museum... When I'll come to London I'll go there for sure.

Lots of hugs!

Alma

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! I'm a Sunday's child. I love the peek of scarf the girl has on. Her jacket is exactly the same colour as the sea!

S
http://notjustmedical.wordpress.com

Iris / London Fashion Diary said...

She is so pretty and does look graceful!
I haven't seen the Grace Kelly exhibition either! Shall we go together ? :)

xxx Iris

Shopgirl said...

That jacket is gorgeous! Love the colour!

Also need to go see the Grace Kelly exhibition - can't still be saying that come September!!

Anonymous said...

so cool! congrats on your dedicated post, so lovely! she looks wonderful! love her style!

the nyanzi report said...

great colour combo and photography.
BTW. i liked your post on the topshop opening in knightbridge. very funny.

Love Food said...

Oh what a lovely outfit.
I love her shoes.

Lydia xxx

http://allthingsnicestyle.blogspot.com/

Style Odyssey said...

Jill! I am so very touched. THANK you. Now I must go and read your FB message and comment....I'm obviously getting ahead of things, seeing this first.
But first, a style comment: I like it when people mix blues in an outfit. Love the jacket shape and color with her fair hair!
I believe I, too, was born on a Wednesday....must ask my mom again but I'm pretty certain I'm a Wed. child. xo

Style Odyssey said...

P.S. I checked...I'm definitely a Wednesday child, too, J. "full of woe"....nah! ;)

Rebecca said...

I was born on a Friday :)
And I love the colour of that jacket, but I don't think anyone'd be able to wear it in the weather we're having at the moment!

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Style At Every Age said...

Love that girls outfit, looks so effortlessly stylish! I have two children born on a Tuesday and 2 on a Friday so not to bad, luckily non on a Saturday!

jazmine rocks @ jazzabelle's diary said...

her jacket and scarf are just beautiful! yes, i've been to the exhibition three times already (hehe) and i shall definately be going again! the displays are just wonderful. my favourite piece has to be the kelly bag, i love the fact that there is obvious wear and tear, which shows that she reused many of her clothes and accessories again and again rather than just wearing them once and disgarding them, like many women in the limelight do today.

have you been to the quilts exhibition yet? it is a amazing exhibtion, i really do recommend it!

love, jazzabelle. x

Olivia Isabella. said...

Seriously need to go see that exhibition as well! It is ridiculous!
UO x
www.unionolivia.blogspot.com

ediot said...

fantastic look. i love the bright coloured blazer so much- i want it!!

xx ediot
www.ediot.org

Adorngirl said...

I think I was born on a saturday. Great dot, with that beautiful shade of green it's not very common. xx

Carrott said...

I'm looking EVERYWHERE for some loafers just like these... And I love the combination of the turquoise and her hair and skin. Perfect!

San said...

The loafers are perfect. And I want such trousers, desperately. I'm sick of my lowrider jeans. Love her whole outfit, though.

Anonymous said...

I love the position of the girls photo infront of the V&A Grace Kelly exhibition! I love what she is wearing.