19.5.10

roz, on primrose hill, sunday morning in spring



Sunday morning: while the rest of London slept, Mr. Dot and I made our way in our lovely old car to Primrose HIll, to meet Roz, of Clothes, Cameras and Coffee, and her very cool, yet very warm, mum. (She doesn't name her in her blog so I won't either).

While Mr. Dot waited in the car, reading the paper, I scooted up the hill, breathless, a few minutes late. They were already there. And they are absolutely delightful: even more wonderfully wonderful than I had imagined. We'd actually tried a previous weekend, and couldn't get a plan, but this one fell together easily.



Roz is just extraordinary to photograph: she brings something to the moment that feels so quintessentially English: she is Alice in Wonderland, she's grown up, sophisticated and brilliant, yet with that sense of childish wonder that I hope to feel forever. It was just a brief visit - half an hour, maybe a bit more - then we all went on our way. We met a friend in Primrose Hill (the town) and I just felt so buzzed by the meeting - as I sense they did, too. I'm sure- I certainly hope - that we'll hang out again, either here or the countryside. We're just all so on the same page.



The wonderful thing about Roz's style is it is so uniquely, creatively, her own. And her 'sourcing' never actually involves anything you can find online. In fact, her descriptions of her outfits on her blog are probably the most wonderfully whimsical prose I've come across, so that's what I'm giving you, my gift from Roz, today. Her image, and her words:

'The dusky pink 'dress' is actually a pleated skirt from a charity shop that I just pulled up and pinned. Tied around it is a sash my grandma gave me. The trench coat was also from a charity shop - I'd like to say it's Burberry, but unfortunately it's not. Oh well, I live in hope! The top underneath is from Next and the necklace was also given to me by my grandma. I'm wearing my old favourite loafers (charity shopped!) and I 'appropriated' the leather bag from my mum.'



There was something about Primrose HIll on a Sunday morning, the air still cool, fresh, spring like, people arriving, dogs, children, the city below.. from that lofty place.. it feels like in Athens, at the Acropolis: you could almost believe you're dancing among the Gods. That anything is possible.

25 comments:

Tobi said...

Roz is beautiful, she has the face of an English rose x

http://stylebyqueens.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I've been following Roz's blog for a while now, I love it her outfits are inspiring and I love the photographs she takes x

http://observationsthroughthelookingglass.blogspot.com/

the style crusader said...

Wow! These shots are beautiful! She looks different then in the photos on her blog. Older kind of? The are gorgeous. You have captured a different side of her. I love the last picture. Really really lovely post. Sounds like a magical Sunday morning! xx

Olivia Isabella. said...

A huge fan of Roz's blog anyway and it makes it all the more real considering she is my age!
UO x
http://unionolivia.blogspot.com/

Rosalind said...

Jill, thank you so much for this. I love the photos and the really kind words you wrote about me! It was great meeting up, and I hope next time this happens we'll have a little more time!
I've already linked back to this in my latest blog post, and I'll send you a proper email too.

http://clothescamerasandcoffee.blogspot.com/

Carrousel de la Mode said...

Love your dress!

http://carrouseldelamode.blogspot.com

Style Odyssey said...

I am so glad to know you were able to not only meet Roz but do a photo shoot! She seems like an absolute delight, and as I've told her on her blog, a beautiful old soul.
Nice to see the large close-up face shot; her skin is luminous. She has that quintessential English rose glow.

Anonymous said...

wow, she is a true natural beauty! very lovely indeed! just checking out her blog, with even more adorable photos! her hair is amazing... great images!

Anonymous said...

okey, just read her profile info! she is 14, wow!

Sarah said...

Roz is absolutely stunning! and her style is flawless- the skirt/ dress looks lovely xxx

Rebecca said...

I love these photos! Roz, you look beautiful :)

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

the Citizen Rosebud said...

roz is amazing! lovely in every sense of the world, and packs killer style. unique and unforgettable. great pics.

Platform P said...

How cute is she. Love her dress.

x

Hedvig said...

Lovely photos Jill and a very beautiful girl, she reminds me of one actress, Eva Green, but her style for sure doesn't remind of anyone, it's her own and it's gorgeous.xx

Adorngirl said...

so young , and already so sophisticated. she's proof that you can look great within a budget.

Izzy said...

Very beautiful, she brings something to different to the look, I can't even think of a word to describe it. I can't believe she is 14, my age, ahhh I look so young for my age compared to everyone else! I do love the loafers and the necklace she is wearing, and she brings good justice to fake Burberry!

'All Swamped In Flowers'

The Photodiarist said...

These are some of your best photos. Beautiful work, Jill.

Copious Couture said...

This dress is to die for!!!

Carissa
http://copiouscouture.blogspot.com

Pearl Westwood said...

Aw I love Roz, what a sweet heart!

I just voted in your poll, and I must say I only ever buy from H&M when its the designer colabs, I just think the quality is terrible. I have totally swapped Topshop for Zara tho, I can't get enough of it, its just perfect!

DeZine said...

ok, im not being shy! really cool blog! i just started following :)
-M-

Martine : D said...

I love Roz's blog too! her style is so unique and she's really beatiful.

adrielleroyale said...

She really does look great in just about anything :)

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

She's a real beauty--why isn't she modeling professionally? (Or maybe she is--I don't know.)

How are things lately? I know I don't always comment but I do read your blog daily :)

lover said...

FROM THE STATES

IT'S REFRESHING TO SEE SOMEONE WITH ORIGINALITY AND GRACE....
NOT MUCH OF THAT LEFT...IS THERE????

XXOO
MELISSA LEE LAMY, NM USA

Lucy said...

gosh what a beautiful girl! I can see what you mean when you described her!
Although, do you know where I may have seen her before? Not her blog but else-where? i'm sure i recognise her!
xx