28.2.10

kind of like the easter parade, only different



Good morning, kittens! (& the odd puppy reading this: I know you're out there, guys ; )

This girl was the star of London Fashion Week. EVERYONE was shooting her. For anyone who stayed home because they thought they weren't thin enough, tall enough, stylish enough, or their clothes expensive enough, the Girl in the Dungerees (or 'Overalls', as we called them as kids on Long Island - dungerees were the term my mom used for all denim jeans) was the star in the show. And an adorable girl, too: long eyelashes, and a modest, lovely smile.



The weird thing about LFW is that there are people who just go there to be photographed. It's like, when I was a kid, my mom (who grew up in NYC) said everyone went to the Easter Parade to be photographed for the newspapers in their new hat. Or perhaps I'm thinking of the film. In my memory, real life & films get all scrambled up.

I remember especially the line 'a photographer will snap you, and you'll find that you're in the rotogravure' and always wondered what that word meant (it's a printing process the newspapers used).





I've got her name jotted down somewhere... I'm sure you've seen her on someone's blog already. You can get a similar hat @ Pachacuti, they're the most gorgeous hats in all styles & colours, all ethically sourced in Panama.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend. The sun is out in South Kensington, and shortly, so am I!

16 comments:

Leah said...

Great choice of subject Jill... who would have thought that this girl is interesting in her denim jumper.

Happy Monday! xoxo

slowdownapproaching30 said...

I was in NY last Easter and saw everybody working their Easter outfits outside Saks - it was great fun. Loving the dungarees - so cool!

the style crusader said...

love these photos! she's got such a great style and her skin looks so beautiful! great shots jill! xx

franki said...

Hi Jill! This girl's name is Ellie and she's a buyer for ASOS - I remember seeing her photo on the ASOS blog a couple of days ago.

I love her cute little hat, she looks lovely.

xxx

Chloe @ Matchesfashion.com said...

What a lovely and well written blog avec the most beautiful photos! You're right, every time I turned round this little fashion maven was posing for a different photographer! Unsurprising given how good she looks though! xx

daisychain said...

Wow, I love her denim ensemble, it could look utterly insane, and would on most but she executes it perfectly.

Rebecca said...

She just looks so cute! Her hair is lovely as well.
I think the name Ellie suits her, actually.
R xo

http://itscohen.blogspot.com

jill said...

Wow, little curly girl, that's the 2nd great tip off you've given me. THANK YOU. It IS indeed Ellie, just couldn't find my notes on her.

thank you all for your comments on Ellie's behalf. I'll check out ASOS: last FW, I accidentally photographed Natalie (from ASOS) - sans head. Just a torso shot, and she recognised herself. Oeah that's funny that you call it a jumper: that's what we (Americans) called a sleeveless dress worn over a 'sweater' - and here, jumper is the word for sweater.

If only they had translations for fashion phrases.

missND said...

what a nice hat!!!
you really can catch everything and dont miss anything, dont you? =)

your blog is great, inspiring!

jill said...

Ha, thanks missND! ; )

My husband used to call me (behind my back, someone told me) Evil Tinkerbell when we were first going out. I'd be flitting around at parties and clubs.. I'm so not evil, but I guess he meant being mischievous. Actually, I should ask him what he meant.. he's probably forgotten by now. Or he won't tell me!

A lot of it is luck. And moving around a lot helps.

missND said...

i envy you, lucky to live in a city like that and to be around all those stylish people...

men love smart women, thats obvious. =))
what a beautiful thing to understand each other... and love...=))

keep up the great work!!!!!! =)))

jill said...

thanks missND!! ; )

actually i read somewhere that men don't (physically) hear women well. the higher pitched our voices, the more they don't hear us. (hence margaret thatcher, with her deeper voice, becoming PM). plus: the more 'feminine' we are, physically, the higher pitched our voices are. and, of course, the more feminine we are, the more attracted to us men are.

so the conclusion they came to is that men are basically sleeping with women they can't hear. which explains why i have to repeat everything 20 times.

missND said...

hahahahah! after a long bloody tiring monday, this one is like a cure for my hanging smile-muscles =))))
i gotta mension that to my bf...
well, but whenever my tones get higher, he starts listening my words -just in a second-. =))))) maybe he just pretends. i guess i'm confused... coz he listens but never understands =)))))))))))
maybe it's a scary thing for men, to hear a woman screamin most of the time... who knows...
hahahahah but its really funny, and somehow true. maybe it's sad...i dont know. still... funny... =))))))

jill said...

he's TRYING to listen, he really is,.. he just can't hear you.

missND said...

right...missed that....ahahahahah =)))))))))

missND said...

by the way, you gotta check this one out i guess,

http://missnd.blogspot.com/2010/03/bussiness-woman.html