15.2.10

luxury goods: on griege, and grief



The Wise & Fashionable Pearl and I were talking about the elusive 'griege' colour (which I seem to remember reading about in a bio of Jackie Kennedy: she was trying to describe to someone what she wanted, a cross between grey & beige - or maybe I dreamt it). There seems to be a new interest in the colour ever since Chanel launched a limited edition nail varnish. It's all a bit silly, a bit Emperor's New Clothes, but colour is a very powerful and emotional substance.

Well, Pearl, this bag in the window at Asprey, on New Bond Street, feels about the colour I had in mind.



I shot these last week, and ironically, returned to the same spot just days later to shoot the Alexander McQueen shop. I had the strangest feeling when I took this photo: it was such a melancholy day, and I didn't know why I felt that way. Sometimes it's deja vu, sometimes it's just this strange.. what's the opposite of deja vu? Preja vu? Whatever it is, I get it, sometimes. And I"m trying not to keep posting about McQueen, (I just read a comment on another blog saying she's glad she's not the only one who can't stop posting about him) but I still finding myself reading more & more, and I still have images I want to show you..

btw: in this post, Pearl is talking about what is to become of the McQueen brand, and links to other interesting posts on the subject. I don't know how I feel, but I can't think of anyone who could fill his shoes. What are your thoughts on the subject?

4 comments:

LondonShopFront said...

The only person mental enough to take over in the eccentricity of his designs would be Jean Charles de Castelbajac but he does not have the darkness that Mcqueen fed in to his collections. They [Gucci Group] have a hard decision wether to keep the Mcqueen brand going, not a decision i would like to make!

the style crusader said...

it's definitely a hard one. i can't imagine who would take over... but at the same time it seems horrible to have the brand die. it certainly would never be the same... its a tough one. will be interesting to see what happens and how it is handled. xx

Pearl Westwood said...

Oh Jill I think that is it, it really is my idea of greige!! I must go check out Asprey, that is a lovely bag and would of course match my nails!
I am glad in a way people are still talking about McQueen, I just cant seem to move on from it, it really shocked me to the core. I have had two personal berievments recently too so I think I have the 'dark cloud' over me. But then reading lovely comments and seeing such fantastic photos as in what will actually be your next post as I read backwards, the punch bowl boy, you remember no matter what life goes on, and we have our great friends in the real world and blog world to share it with, big hug Pearl x

thekiwibex said...

Personally, I don't think the brand can continue. It was still too much Lee McQueen's own personal vision to now exist independently of him...