20.9.09

i shot the sartorialist (but i didn't shoot his deputy)



Music to view this post by: open a new window, click here for the Bob Marley version and here, if you prefer the Eric Clapton one.



I swear, my life is so strange sometime. On Day Two of London Fashion week, I saw this guy who people were shooting who was SO a Sartorialist shot, so even tho it's not my normal subject, I figured I'd shoot him and send it to Scott. I swear to you: less than two minutes later, possibly only one, I saw the legend himself!



So I shot him.



It's funny, I've been shooting strangers for a while - six months now - and I've noticed that when most people have a camera pointed at them, even with their consent, they strike their pose. It's usually a 'say cheese' smile. Models NEVER smile. They strike THEIR pose, which is serious and sultry. Scott has probably decided he looks best gazing off in the same direction. He was trying to do his usual 3/4 profile pose, but I was having none of it. Come to think of it, perhaps I was a bit... bossy. For starters, I made him stand in the corner. But he was a good sport about it.



He was with his assistant, who I recognised by a post by Garance Dore about drinking coffee on NYC steps. But I didn't shoot her. I swear ; D

15 comments:

The Photodiarist said...

WOW!! Nice work. Great shots my friend!

Eyeliah said...

wow, lovely portraits.

Pearl Westwood said...

How amazing!!!!! Honestly these are some of the best shots of Scott I have ever seen, no one ever seems to capture him - love where you made him stand in the corner LOL x
http://fashionpearlsofwisdom.blogspot.com/

sofiasophie said...

he very interresting....
strange beauty he has........

Style Odyssey said...

SO cool. you go, Jill!!

these are such interesting shots of the wonderful Scott, especially the one where he's in the corner; looks like you put him in time out, lol.

the other pic's pretty great, too--i like the guy's pants, but seems he could use a button. :)

i can't wait to see more of your FW pics!

xo

!Tb0n3! said...

Wow, that's awesome. So cool to see Scott himself in front of the camera instead of behind it!

christine said...

You know he's doing a book signing at LIberty on Monday...I sent you a FB message on it...

Rosalind said...

Wow, what a great thing to get to do! Not justing shooting street style, but the street style master himself :)
And I love the way you wouldn't let him do any of his normal poses. It makes it much mor interesting. The two, side by side in the corner are great!

Roz X

StyleSpy said...

You? Are my hero!! That is quite a notch on the ol' street style photog belt, my girl. Well done!! And great pics -- I think that's the best idea I've ever gotten of how he really looks.

Jem said...

gosh... your so lucky you got to not only meet but photograph the street style legand scott! i think you photographed him so well, it really showed a different side then ive noramally ever scean. congrats on such a snapping such a cool subject! :)

Anonymous said...

What fantastic shot of the famous Sartorialist! I've glimpsed photos of him before, but none so well done as these...I bet he was pleased as punch with them! :-) Love your blog!

dot said...

Thank you! All of you, for your lovely comments.

Actually, Anonymous, I don't know if he was.. I sent him the shots but haven't heard back from him (yet ; ) I'm guessing with the book signing & the tour - and Garance had arrived in London the night I sent them... must have got lost in the shuffle. Still, having lived in London so long, where Manners Rule, a nice quick 'thanks for sending the shots' would have been nice. I often forget that not everyone cares as much about such old fashioned concepts.

Which reminds me!! I post my mom a thank you for my birthday gift!!

Leah said...

This is great... love those photos of Scott.

Fashion Limbo said...

Loving this... love how you write, how you take pictures...this made me smile A LOT :)

Unknown said...

Wow great pictures of the sartorialist himself!

http://fashionnews.zalando.co.uk