15.10.10

the future is here: +J



















The first images that came into my head when I woke this morning, from a lovely dream, was the +J collection that I had the privilege to see yesterday @ Uniqlo, on 311 Oxford Street. It was the one year anniversary of Jil Sanders' creative collaboration with Uniqlo, and the launch of her A/W 2010 collection, her third with them.

Don't know if it was the collective, global joy from the Chilean miners' successful rescue (I mean, how long has it been since the world has seen such a happy ending to a story?), or the beautiful way the store is laid out - these giant stylish photographs dominate the back half of the ground floor, gazing serenely down on her clean palette of black, white, navy, camel, and taupe. Or maybe it was just the energy of this happy, stylish crowd, here to support Jil Sanders, intensely focused and hell bent to clean out the collection before lunch. (It opened to the public at 10:00 a.m. and I arrived shortly after, and it was pretty insane). In any case, yesterday was one of those magic days for me, and I just can't fit it all into one post, but this is a start.


Jil can't say this, but I can: for anyone on the planet who doesn't already know this, the Jil Sander line is not designed by her. She now ONLY designs for Uniqlo, on the +J line. It's good value for money, great design, and I personally want to support her efforts. I get the sense other people feel the same way. We've seen all too often how brilliantly creative people get in a situation where they no longer own their own name, and that's wrong, wrong, wrong.

This collection wants me to live in a modern, glass home. It makes me want to give all my worldly goods to charity and have a simple, minimal, clean life: just a few clean, well made items: crisp white shirts, camel coats, navy jumpers, black trousers. If only this woman made shoes!

Actually, she says it best herself, and more succinctly. It's like haiku: I bet it would even fit in a tweet:



Her clothes are available for men and women in select UK stores, including of course the Oxford Street branch, and online: www.uniqlo.com. I have seen the future, and it is good.

10 comments:

Pearl Westwood said...

Ohhh I didnt realise you could buy it online!! Here I was thinking I was missing out - off to have a look x

Anonymous said...

great pictures - everyone looks so happy

Adorngirl said...

love it! +J really put uniqlo back on the map for me, i always liked the brand for their variety of colours, but I can now appreciate them for their style as well, and they need to keep their relationship with Jil going as it couldn't be a better match.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Everyone seems to be smiling and in a great mood! I love what Jil Sander has come up with for Uniqlo - it's an interesting development from high fashion to highstreet fashion.

Tallulah Keats said...

Nice pics and love the seamed stocking shot - interesting heel type, never seen it before. It has been a while since I have heard of Jil Sander ... Uniqlo looks like a good place to head down to for lovely camel-coloured items

Helen said...

Great pics. I wasn't able to get to the store but UNIQLO's online clothing store has a huge range of the +J clothing.

Matthew Spade said...

this is the best collection yet, for me. mens stuff is great, just wish there was a bit more camel

jill said...

You're right, Mat! What's up with that. I've been looking thru for example the men's jackets.. the choices are navy (good), grey, okay, but where's the camel - the third colour is like dark grey.

Jil, are you reading this? Is there a reason no camel for boys?

Well, considering the girls can wear the boys stuff I don't see any reason why it can't be the other way round. Sexism works both ways.

Thanks all!! xox

Style At Every Age said...

Love these pictures must check out the line, online! x

Style Odyssey said...

I have only recently heard of Uniqlo, and absolutely must investigate further..

And you, Jill, make me want to own a few camel pieces. I adored the color in high school- wore the heck out of it, paired with brown and sometimes plaid (early 80s, when preppy was cool), and the color looked quite good on me. Now, I'm admiring it with black.