11.10.10

staying neutral







Have you notice that whenever someone poses for a shot these days they cross their legs at the ankle? I mean, what's up with that? Can you just imagine, if Beings With Higher Intelligence are, indeed, out there, monitoring us Earthlings on the internet.. what are they thinking? They must wonder how we can walk.
The middle shot I could understand: I did ask to take her photo - but the bottom shot, was an off the cuff. If I didn't know better I'd swear that girl was asking to be shot.

(Altho, I must admit I now do it, too: I'm so impressionable, I'll stand that way while taking the photo of someone standing crossed legged!)


All shot on the same day (Day Three, in fact): all neutral colours, bit o'black, bare legs, little booties, big heels. For some reason everyone is craving little pleats: those that want a midi skirt want it pleated.. I had a great one, years ago - vintage, midnight blue, almost black, simply fabulous - some kind of magic synthetic that never wrinkled, and all it took was one bad dry cleaner: there went the pleats.

Come to think of it: I think I was wearing it the night I went to the party in the loft in Tribeca where I met the future Mr. Dot. We'll never know: that was pre-blog, when we didn't document our every move in words or images. All we have is our memories.

What does that have to do with this post: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Hope you all had a lovely lovely weekend everyone! And welcome to Monday. Here in London it looks like it's gonna be another scorcher! 66f,and sunny!

9 comments:

jazmine rocks @ jazzabelle's diary said...

oh jill, haha! it's so true, about the pose, though i have to say that's how i usually stand! i find it quite comfortable, but in photographs i tend to do the opposite, because it makes my legs look extra lanky and awkward. actually, the shots you took of in my tie dye dress, i think my legs may of been crossed then? not too sure though. i think for me it's a subconcious thing, i don't really know that i'm doing it until i look at my photographs.

love the second girl's wedges and the first girl's hat!

xx

styleeast said...

Ha! So true. As you know, I used to do it all the time too (see our first blogger meet-up at the Orangery!), but it was more of a folding-into-myself uncomfortableness about being in front of the camera than a pose! I've tried to get rid of it now, only to replace it with a new one that I dislike just as much (see my photo from yesterday on Style Scout!)...aaaarrggh!!
x

Anonymous said...

so true - either people cross their legs or tilt there heads.

Adorngirl said...

they cross their legs as I heard it gives the illusion that your legs are thinner, it takes up less space when your legs overlap so voila slimmer legs.

btw thats also why catwalk models walk the way they do the horse like overlapping. same rule

UnoCosa said...

oh! this is so funny - how interesting you notice those things. not you mentioned it, i had to admit that i think i am about to posting a pic w/ my leg crosses, haha!

love the photos as always, and have a great weekend, xx

oh! i absolutely adore your blog as well ... w/ all the pics and thoughts ....

Style Odyssey said...

66F, woohoo! ;) it's going to 86 all week here in the Lowcountry. not sure what happened to our week of fall...
i'm really liking your neutral-themed posts, Jill. keep them coming! xo

Carrott said...

I do that too... sometimes. If not, I touch my hair and look to my feet... Weird, I know xxx

Florrie said...

How very peculiar...I was just reading this and then became aware that im lying on my bed....with my ankles crossed!

The Blogger said...

Nice photos!