13.10.10

le bomber, and the harem










This partly me trying to be more like Kate Lamphear - i.e. less chatty, more mysterious. But also I really want to go see Wall Street and it's starting in 10 minutes and is at least a 15 minute walk to the cinema. But I've been meaning to post these for a while:

The bomber jacket is made of old cable knit jumpers and is part of the Goodone collection for Topshop. Besides the black crochet'd dress, this was one of the most popular of the bag of clothes I brought to the shoot.

My friends, Natayla, top, who is Egyptian (she edits 'It's Fashion Week', the first online Egyptian fashion magazine) and whose family lives in Geneva, and Hedvig, who is Norwegian, both recognised the style as a 'bomber jacket', which I thought was just an American word for the style. Wikipedia has a whole interesting story about the name, apparently it's also a skinhead thing.

But also, really, what I'm more interested in talking about today is the miners' rescue in Chile, and there's just no way I can fit any of my photos into a post on that!




So I will say that it was pretty weird about that day: not just Nat, or Hedvig, but also Tobi showed up in black harem trousers. I had done a whole rant the first spring I started my blog, back in 2009, about how no one would ever wear those droopy drawers. But I consider each of these girls really stylish, so there you have it. Once again, I was wrong.

Oh btw I know Hedvig's black chunky heels are Acne, she told me who made the harem trousers - Hedvig can you remind me again? - and I'll let you know who made Nat's later - and her wonderful burgundy suede high tops, she's told me about three times now and I keep forgetting (Jen just reminded me, they're Lanvin, and Nat just said the trousers are Topshop). The thing I love about both girls is they mix their style with really good quality designer stuff, and brands like H&M: glamorous street chic.

11 comments:

C. Anne said...

Hedvig's black heels are fabulous! Hooray for the rescue, I saw the news about one of the couples deciding to get married a second time, joyous!

the style crusader said...

gorgeous! i love that bomber jacket and all three girls look stunning in the harems. are Nat's shoes Lanvin? i think this is the pair... http://shop.harveynichols.com/fcp/product/-/Shoes/Lace-up-leather-hi-tops/325389?colour=blue_and_other

p.s. take that anonymous! i've got some answers up my sleeve too. xx

daisychain said...

Oh please stop being so gorgeous damn you

The Photodiarist said...

Just not crazy about the harem pant . . . But that bomber sweater jacket is totally cool.

Anonymous said...

Where is the leopard print scarf from? All three girls look gorgeous! x

styleeast said...

ah, a marvellous selection of photos! Really love this knitted bomber. All the ladies look lovely.
xx

Hedvig said...

I was thinking the same yesterday Jill, such an emotional day watching the rescue operation live, wanted to post about it as well but my blog is not the right format for it and found it hard to illustrate with images, but I definitely think you can do it so I stay tuned....

Lol, so strange we all had black harem pants in mind to style with the bomber, mine are in wool from Helmut Lang btw. xx

daniela kate morosini said...

i especially love her leopard scarf - such a great + versatile accessory! xx

Annushka said...

I Love this style, beautiful blog!!!)))

Style At Every Age said...

I am always impressed when people mix high st with designer and make the whole outfit look as though it cost a fortune!

Devonately said...

I LOVE that white knit jacket, actually I love the whole outfit. Great post!

-Dev