16.10.10

just like paris



I believe that there are certain places, at certain moments in time, that have a gravitational pull, a sense of magic. Artistic souls feel drawn to these places. Florence during the early Renaissance, for example, or London in the Sixties.. Paris in the twenties and thirties, when Gerald and Sarah Murphy connected their friends Picasso with Hemmingway and the mad Fitzgeralds.

New York City goes thru waves of it. I sat with a blase young male photographer, from Canada actually, during September 2009's glorious, sunny first Somerset House London Fashion Week - the anniversary, the one that everyone still raves about - my first as well - as he pronounced to me, with disdain, that 'London is over, Berlin is the only cool city'. I haven't yet been, so I can't say, but for me, London is still pretty darn cool, and there are some moments, like last week when we - just a bunch of blog friends, of various ages, from all round world - were hanging out at the Breakfast Club in Hoxton and Kit just leaned back on the couch at the moment that I snapped her and Daniella snapped me, which she then posted ('time'). ('Jen said, of my shot, that I looked like Mick Jagger in the 70s, and you'd have to know Jen to know that's a compliment).

Just one of those moments where somehow the sum of the parts is greater than the parts. Or something like that.

12 comments:

Silkybow said...

such a lovely picture :)

The Photodiarist said...

Gorgeous photograph.

adrielleroyale said...

Gorgeous! I love those moments of the perfect capture! She's so beautiful and the composition and lighting is just fabulous! LOVE it :)

the style crusader said...

love that photograph of kit. the stripes, the texture of the leather sofa, her flicked eyeliner... that bent arm. so perfect. haha, it totally was a compliment and such a good day. xx

Kit said...

Beautifully shot Jill, wish I had a full thick lashes to complete the look haha. Thank you Jill.

Ann said...

You do look like Mick Jagger, in the best possible way!

Shini said...

Owowhwh so serene! Owh this was the day I ran off, sucks to have missed the afterpartay!

Ana Frost said...

Hola Jill!So spontaneous pose, actually seems like she has a fabulous "siesta" ;-)

Style Odyssey said...

i can't describe this photo any other way but "cool". xo

Dulwich_News said...

So when are you going to Berlin we went in April to make some movies and attend the opening of an exhibition of our work and it was still very cold and I lived 18 yrs in NYC and was shocked...

Looks like you are changing your style?

jill said...

Always changing my style, Scout. Always evolving. Or at least I hope so.

S: thank you! (on Kit's behalf ; )

Ana Leitora: lovely to hear from you! You know I can't comment on your blog because you're 'just' a reader, but I hope you read this and hope you're well. Are you coming to visit London again soon?

Shini: don't worry after you left we all fell asleep from boredom: Shini's gone, party is so OVER.

Ann: aw, shucks, thanks. Kit, funny you said that: I wish I had long lashes, too. But not enough to do anything artificial about it, mind you.

thanks all! xx

Susan said...

gorgeous photo!
xoxo