1.6.10

style east: we come in peace



You've already seen some of my photos of Jennifer, whose lovely blog, Style East, is just a wee babe in blog years, but I've been saving up to do a proper post. I shot her a lot on Tuesday: we had just met and I just found her so interesting, so smart and nice and fun, and somehow, shooting each other has become an extension of the 'ooh I love your shoes, where did you get them' form of friendship that exists among women (and sometimes, but rarely, men).

It seems the equivalent in the animal world of showing our underbellies: it's a way of saying 'I come in peace.'



I don't want you to think I'm some kind of witless Pollyanna type who goes around loving everyone I meet. And it's not like I believe everyone who decides to start a blog is a wonderful human being. It just seems that the people that have shown up for these little blogger things really are amazing. And while we all agreed on Tuesday that fashion is about superficial things, like hair and nails and shoes and jewelry and clothing, the way we choose to wear those things does tend to say something about us.



In other words: I could instantly relate to Jennifer because I liked her grey nail varnish, her haircut, the way she chose that great tee shirt with a hard black leather bicycle jacket, and soft, peachy petally shorts (or 'culottes', as I remember them being called as a child) from Topshop's vintage section, and lady like Spectator pumps. And the details like her grey cameo ring, and silver good luck horse shoe charm necklace. (And don't ask me where she got anything: it's all vintage).



What I find even more fascinating about Jennifer is the things that she's interested in, and the work she's doing, which isn't remotely in fashion. But I won't tell you: you'll have to just meet her, and find out for yourself. In the meantime, come follow her blog! Make her feel welcome in our world.

13 comments:

Emily said...

I'm off to Jennifer's blog! I love her t-shirt and her gray nail varnish too:)

Tobi said...

So lovely I caught the train with her on the way back and we had a lovely conversation seeing as we are both blogging babies. From this its evident that Jennifer has a great sense of personal style and she really does like to have fun dressing up! I would love to see more self style on the blog.

Jill I love how you captured her eyes, so endearing!

http://stylebyqueens.wordpress.com/

jill said...

Oh, Tobi, I didn't realise you and Kiki are blogging babies! I thought you were all grown up ; )

Emily, thank you on Jennifer's behalf. Let me know what you think. xo

Anonymous said...

how cute! love her style and haircut! will check out her blog for sure! thx!

Anonymous said...

Love her and her blog - both adorable. ck :) x

the style crusader said...

oh man jill. this is the most beautiful spotlight on jennifer! i've also been meaning to do a post on her but haven't had the time to do it properly and i didn't want to just throw it together haphazardly. she is so lovely, isn't she?! oh i just really really love all these photos. you've really captured her so well. she is an absolute joy and i can't wait until the next time we get to meet up so i can chat to her more. lovely post jill this is really and truly beautiful.

p.s. love that you mentioned that you don't like everybody (haha... just thinking of some specifics) and that not all bloggers are necessarily such a complete marvel. sometimes i feel like, 'do i sound like i'm just raving about EVERYONE?!' but your right - we've been lucky. because so far it's been beyond easy to rave about everyone we've met at blogger dos. everyone really has just been incredible. xx

Sara Bentley said...

I just came over from Glamirrorous and I'm so glad that I did! You've combined two of my favorite things in your blog -- London and streetstyle! You take great pics and I'll definitely be back :)

Anonymous said...

Her shoes are fantastic and I felt for her leather jacket - it's gorgeous! ^^

xoxo Sandra
http://glamirrorous.com

FashionJazz said...

I love her outfit! Thank you for your super sweet comment on my blog! Yes of course we can exchange links : ) I will put yours up now : ) Have a lovely Tuesday xxx

Nicole Trundle said...

This post is ever so lovely. :)

and true!

Carrott said...

Perfect combination of shorts and leather jacket. She seems so sweet.

styleeast said...

Thank you so much Jill, this is very very sweet. Gosh, not quite used to seeing myself all over the internet yet!

You're almost right that most things are vintage but the t-shirt is actually from a gig years ago of one of my favourite bands, Bombay Bicycle Club (check them out!), and my necklace is a gift from a friend, from Marc Jacobs NY (it's my save-in-a-fire favourite!).

Thanks again, I'm really touched, everyone is just SO NICE!! Bring on the next get-together... x

Anonymous said...

I adore her style. And I adore this blog.