12.3.11

back on the street



I've always been one of those people who's kind of.. resistant to doing what everyone's doing. Even as a child, I've struggled between wanting to fit in, and wanting to stand out. So when it seemed this past fashion week like EVERYONE was shooting and posting on street style, I kind of shot some.. not as many of the posed shots as I've done in the past, and not with the same ferocity, but I've shot them: I just haven't posted them. Yet.




But today's a kind of grey afternoon and I felt like posting these shots from around Spitalfields. I'm not as a rule a fan of primary colours: the red/blue/yellow/black palette is not normally for me, but I find if it's in the right context: like with some black, or neutral colours.. I'm coming around to the idea.

I've spent like the last hour trying to find the email from the lovely lovely women in the top shot - an artist - who wrote to me and I never replied and I really want to let her know her post is up, and to ask more about her. The other two were doing a little photo shoot for the rings, and now I can't find their card either! What is wrong with me.



I also chose these shots as a kind of tribute to the people of Japan, even tho I don't have a clue if any of these women are Japanese. I just feel so amazed at how they are handling this tragedy with such dignity and courage and grace. David had asked a really good question in my post ('prayer') and I wrote a long response, and I've been thinking about it since. Does God hear our prayers? All I know is, an earthquake of that magnitude, and the tsunami that followed.. tsunamis can go a multitude of ways, and once we started praying.. the rest of the world wasn't hurt. Could be luck. Or perhaps God really does listen to our tweets.

There is still so much devastation, and my heart and prayers go out to all the people who have lost ones they love. But still.. it could have been far worse.

We just saw a great film, Fair Game - again, thanks to David Nyanzi - and now it's nice to relax with the paper and a cup of tea and the cat sleeping on my feet, while in another room the sounds of some sports event (rugby? football?) drift over. It's such a nice cosy protected feeling, reminds me of my grandfather and my dad watching football on TV on Sunday visits. Altho my mom claims that never happened, except in my head.

Feeling - finally! - in the mood to do more street style. Feels good to get back on the road again.

7 comments:

Kaotic Clothing said...

Great pics :)
http://kaoticclothingco2007.blogspot.com/

style odyssey said...

lovely tribute. whether or not any of these women are japanese, the thought is there.
it's hard to believe the devastation in japan. so heartbreaking. i have a feeling the people are quite resilient.
re: "I've always been one of those people who's kind of.. resistant to doing what everyone's doing." you and i are very much alike!
xo

the nyanzi report said...

Good to know that you watched it. That movie was so good I'm going for seconds on Monday...

The Photodiarist said...

Glad you are back on the street . . .

As for Japan -- I am in shock! I was there last year for the first time and just loved it. Now, with the nuclear plant blowing up on top of everything else . . . frightening.

The Photodiarist said...

P.S. I gave in an joined Twitter! Am now following your tweets!

Shopgirl said...

Always love your street style shots! :)

Fashion Limbo said...

beautiful shots, very natural and full of colour, love what the girl with long hair is wearing :)