18.3.11

hope floats



Maybe it's because we watched Solaris before we fell asleep early, but just as I was in that semi-dream state, I suddenly had these images of cherry blossoms again, and catwalk photos, and I knew I had to get up and make collages. Here's first of a series that I shall be showing you in the coming days.

It's hit me once again, how connected we all are: we might not be able to travel to Japan, or to Libya, for example, but we're not powerless to help. We can donate amounts of money that don't detract from our lives in any way, and yet collectively, we CAN make a difference.

I mean.. look at Sandra Bullock, who gave one MILLION dollars to the Red Cross. She's my hero.

I shot this at the Aminaka Wilmont show at the recent London Fashion Week. I had forgotten when I picked this shot that Maki Aminaka Löfvander is from Japan and Sweden. The other half of the duo, Marcus Wilmont, is Danish. And when I go back to sleep.. I can't stop thinking that there are people tonight who are hearing gunshots outside, or are lying on the floor of a gym in Japan, hungry and cold, because their house and everything they have known is gone. And I want to send them something from my heart. I want to send them hope.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

There really is something in the air these days. You have so beautifully stated my own thoughts. I firmly believe that all the prayers we send ARE supporting the world, but your last words -- about wanting to send them hope -- that's the crux of the matter, isn't it. We want them to feel better somehow.

Kathleen said...

Yes, it is definitely wild. Chaos theory in action!

adrielleroyale said...

Sandra Bullock is awesome, She's always been one of my absolute favorites. She is such a generous person! I love how you keep reminding us though that even a small donation collectively makes a world of difference.