8.3.11

you ain't never caught a rabbit



Suggested viewing: turn up your volume, click below, and read on.





Because there is nothing original in this or any world, I am going to STEAL the first lines from an article by Tim Blanks in STYLE.COM on this amazing, Topshop Unique show (LFW: Day 3, 20.20.11). He said:

"Doncha just love life's little synchronicities? The 101 Dalmatians were all over the new Topshop collection. The woman who wrote the book on them in 1956 was Dodie Smith. Topshop's design supremo Karen Bonser currently lives next door to the house where Dodie lived..'

But what Mr. Blank didn't mention - and I wonder if anyone even realised it - the finale for this brilliant show in an amazing locale was Elvis singing 'You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog' - which I believe he first performed the same year as Dodie Smith wrote the book.





I've been, it feels, surrounded by a whole lot o'crazy before, during, and even after - especially after! - London Fashion Week. Mentioned it to Mr. Dot this morning, and he just looked at me said, deadpan 'it's not like you weren't warned.' It's true. I had to laugh. Thank God for men. And it's not just fashion, we all know ballet is the same.. hence the success of Black Swan.. let's face it, whenever you get an industry that is predominantly women, when there is so much money, and ego, at stake, there's bound to be a little bit of, let's just say, female canine behaviour going on.

So in keeping with the Black Swan/White Swan theme - because I believe there's a bit of Black Swan in us all, along with the White - I'm doing this post on just the black and white looks of this show. The colour ones will have to wait for another day. Besides: the sun is out and why aren't I?







Ever since I saw this show - and it wasn't just me singing and dancing in my seat along with the song, I could see Pixie and Alexa were, too - I've just been singing this song in my head. You've got to love the simplicity of these lyrics. There are no other lines, just these:

You ain't nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time. You ain't nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time. You ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine. Oh they said you was high class, but that was just a lie. Yes they said you was high class, but that was just a lie. You ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine.

And then he just sings it again. And again. And again.




Happy Pancake Day, all. Our family didn't celebrate it growing up but tonight I'm making something crepe-related. I know it's meant to be the start of atoning for our sins, and I'm not quite sure these days what mine are exactly, but hey, any excuse to eat pancakes!

Big hug and thank you to Liz Shuttleworth at Arcadia, for the invite. Just think, if I didn't ask to street shoot you that summer day in Primrose Hill.. I might have missed such a fabulous experience.

11 comments:

the style crusader said...

I really love all the black and white looks from the Topshop show. The whole dalmation theme sort of runs through... like Cruella all decked out in the dalmation furs that she wanted to get but never managed to create. Love the white jacket with blacks spots in the second photo from the bottom. First shot is awesome too! Really like how you can see the whole space and get a feeling for the size of the show. xx

The Photodiarist said...

Love the white coat with the spotted sleeves . . .

Shopgirl said...

Oh Jill, another set of wonderful photos from another wonderful show. I think the Topshop Unique show is the one I always look forward to seeing the pics from the most - as Topshop feels so much like that store is a part of all of our heritage - I spent so much of my teenage years in Topshop - I love that.

There sure is a little bit of Black Swan in us all, but there's quite a bit of White Swan too, I like to think :)

Great post, as always, xx

Shopgirl said...

PS Gimme an Elvis tune anyday!! :)

daisychain said...

Mmm pancakes, I had my fix for breakfast and I'm going back for more tonight!

jessica said...

I WANT the little doggy print blouse.. and some pancakes.
:)

Blythe and Charlotte said...

It's so incredible how those things happen. These shots are great as well, and I'm getting really excited about black and white combinations now!

-Charlotte

ediot said...

just such an amazing post. i really like the photos, well done jill!
These prints are so fun-i like the doggie print blouse a lot.
xx

flat faced cat said...

This is such a unique blog! Great post! I'm a new follower!
Best,Cami
http://www.camilynbeth.blogspot.com

Chuck said...

Ah, Elvis... I love you!

mtg said...

LOL,
I love Elvis and Hound Dog is my kids' favorite song! It never made any sense to me, but kids LOVE it. They think it's about a puppy dog! lol